The body of a young Israeli Druze man who was seized by Palestinian gunmen in Jenin was transferred to his family, the Israeli army said Thursday, adding that nothing had been given in return.
“We did not negotiate with the gunmen who had the body in any way,” an IDF spokesman told a briefing. “We gave nothing back. I think at some point they understood that the consequences of this event would have been very harsh for the economy of Jenin.
Armed men stormed a hospital in Jenin and seized the body of Tiran Ferro, victim of a car accident in the West Bank, authorities from both sides in the conflict announced on Wednesday. The armed men demanded the return of the bodies of Palestinians killed by Israeli troops, they said.
Israel closed roads to and from Jenin on Wednesday after the body was seized, and reopened them on Thursday after it was returned.
Jenin Governor Major General Akram Rajoub told CNN that Palestinian Authority security officials conducted negotiations with the gunmen holding the body.
“The PA General Intelligence Service had contact with one of the kidnappers, which facilitated the return of the body to the General Intelligence Service headquarters in Jenin,” Rajoub said.
There is a dispute over whether Ferro was alive or dead when gunmen broke into his hospital room in Jenin and took his body.
Ferro’s father told Israeli media on Wednesday that the teenager was alive and had not been kept alive. But Jenin Governor Akram Rajoub told CNN Ferro was dead when his body was removed.
Ferro’s father said: ‘When we were in hospital we were standing outside the intensive care unit. My son was connected to the ventilator and had a heartbeat. I was with my brother and my son, suddenly a gang of 20 masked men came into the room screaming. We stood idly by and couldn’t have done anything.
“They removed the body right in front of me,” Ferro’s father told reporters on camera.
But Jenin Governor Rajoub told CNN Ferro was dead when his body was removed.
The Jenin Brigade, a Palestinian militant group based in the West Bank refugee camp, said in a statement obtained by CNN on Wednesday that it was holding Ferro’s body and demanded that Israel hand over all bodies of Palestinians killed by the IDF. owned by Israel. The group also said it had lifted the alert status among its members in anticipation of the Israeli forces’ assault on the Jenin camp.
Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid promised on Wednesday that “the kidnappers would pay a heavy price” if Ferro de Tiran’s body was not returned: “Israel has proven in recent months that there is no place or of terrorist whom he cannot reach”.
Lapid said Ferro will turn 18 on Thursday. He was a member of the Druze minority, community leaders told CNN.