Yang’s outstanding result earned him his first-ever IPF world record.
In the Asian powerlifting circuit, Sen Yang has been a mainstay for some time. He is a former Asian Powerlifting Federation (AsianPF) World Champion – both as an equipped competitor (2016-2017, 2019) and Raw (2019). Lately, he has made a name for himself under the international banner strength projector.
On November 19, 2022, during the final leg of the 2022 International Powerlifting Federation (IPF) World Equipped Championships schedule, Yang successfully locked down a 440.5 kilograms (971.1 pounds) equipped squat. The display of leg strength is an all-time IPF world record in the 120 kilogram weight class and places Yang alongside other unique competitors who captured equipped world records in the same contest. (Note: As final results are calculated, Yang’s exact location and finish is unclear at this time.)
According to IPF database and Open powerliftingthis squat world record for Yang exceeds his previous best-equipped squat by 440 kilograms (970 pounds) at the 2022 IPF World Games half a kilogram. Yang has featured as a concurrent AsianPF and IPF powerlifter since November 2015 and has generally improved steadily in the years since. The athlete also seems humbled by his latest accomplishment, given his silent salutes to respective observers for his world record in the squat clip.
Here’s a look at some of the most notable results from Yang’s powerlifting resume:
Sen Yang | Notable career results
- 2011 AsianPF Asian Powerlifting Championships (Sub-Junior/Equipped) — First place | First career full power win
- 2016-2017, 2019 Asian PF Asian Powerlifting Championships (Open/Equipped) – First place
- 2016-2017 IPF Junior and Junior Powerlifting World Championships (Junior/Equipment) – Second place
- 2018 IPF Equipped World Championships (Open/Equipped) – Third place
- 2019 IPF Equipped World Championships (Open/Equipped) – Fourth place
- 2019 AsianPF Asian Classic Powerlifting Championships (Open/Raw) – First place
- 2022 IPF World Games (super/equipped) – Second place
On a pure strength basis, Yang appears to have a well-rounded power profile – even outside of his new IPF world record squat in the 120 kilogram division. Here are the athlete’s all-time equipped competition records:
Sen Yang | Best equipped competitions of all time
- Squat — 440.5 kilograms (971.1 pounds) | IPF world record
- Bench Press — 322.5 kilograms (711 pounds)
- Deadlift — 332.5 kilograms (733 pounds)
- Total — 1,095 kilograms (2,414 pounds)
Given the versatility and competitive profile Yang has acquired at this point in his career, it’s fair to wonder what else he has up his sleeve. If he can get a world record now, he might have opened a Pandora’s box of milestone achievements waiting.
Featured Image: theipf on Instagram