Johnson can happily leave Denmark after making history.
Gregory Johnson has been a relative mainstay at the International Powerlifting Federation (IPF) equipped Open World Powerlifting Championships for a little while now. Since 2015, the powerlifter has competed in three of these respective equipped IPF contests (2015, 2017, 2021), landing his best result of sixth place in the 2021 iteration. After rewriting the record books in the last edition, he may have lifted his argument strength masterpiece.
At the 2022 IPF Equipped World Championships on November 16, 2022 in Viborg, Denmark, Johnson captured an equipped world record deadlift of 371.5 kilograms (819 pounds) in the 93 kilogram weight class. (Note: As the competition is still ongoing as of this writing, it’s unclear where Johnson finished in his division.)
As the clip of his achievement shows, Johnson’s joy was palpable. The moment he successfully completed his lockdown, a beaming smile appeared on Johnson’s face. After dropping his massive barhe began to do a short dance before dropping to his knees, then exploding with joy before standing up to hug two of the first people he saw on the lifting platform.
An experienced powerlifter who has competed to some degree since February 2010, Johnson could be considered a jack-of-all-trades when it comes to lifting facilities. According Open powerliftingthe athlete has competed in sanctioned lifting contests while competing raw, wrapped and kitted at least once in his 12+ year career – with a particular focus on his raw and kitted feats.
Here’s a look at some of the most notable results from Johnson’s long career:
Gregory Johnson | Notable competitive results
- 2011 USA Powerlifting (USAPL) Panhandle Power Games (College/Raw) — First place | First career victory
- 2012-2013 USAPL Aggie Showdown (open/raw and varsity/equipped) – First place
- 2013 IPF Classic Powerlifting World Championships (Juniors/Raw) – Third place
- 2014 USAPL Raw Nationals (Junior/Raw) – First place
- 2015 USAPL Men’s and Women’s National Championships (Open/Equipped) – Second place
- USAPL Texas 2016 Winter Games (Open/Raw) – First place
- 2017 USAPL 35th Annual Open National Championship (Open/Equipped) – Second place
- 2018 USAPL Texas Strength Classic (Open/Raw) – First place
- 2018 USAPL Open National Championships (Open/Equipped) – First place
- 2021 USAPL Equipped National Championships (Open/Equipped) – Third place
- 2021 IPF World Powerlifting Championships (Open/Equipped) — Sixth place
Here’s a rundown of Johnson’s top competition gear:
Gregory Johnson | Best equipped competitions of all time
- Squat — 365 kilograms (804.7 pounds)
- Bench Press — 225 kilograms (496 pounds)
- Deadlift — 372.5 kilograms (821.2 pounds)
- Total — 947.5 kilograms (2,088.8 pounds)
Johnson’s record could be one of many stellar accomplishments and unfiltered moments of joy from the 2022 Equipped Worlds. The contest will officially end on November 20, 2022.
Featured Image: maroonroo on Instagram